Site Meter .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cameron's House of Fun

Fatherhood, politics, education, random thoughts (heavy on the random thoughts) and stuff (always stuff).

Monday, January 23, 2006

So it's come to this has it?

First, let's be clear here. The Liberals, in their current incarnation, need to go bye bye now. They have besmirched all that is good and decent about Canadian democracy. And it disgusts me.

I want a different group of people in charge.

That said, I don't' want the Conservative Part of Canada running the show totally. Which is what we might get tonight. A CPC majority.

I know it's become mockery bait to suggest that you are even slightly worried about a CPC government. I know that to suggest that you are worried invites suggestions that you are a closet Martinite, that you believe the "Main Stream Media" (attention, if your blog gets anything more than 1000 distinct hits a day, you are the MSM) smear, that you are some how evil and stupid and ignorant. But I don't care.

I'm scared of the CPC. Not all of it. But fairly largish chunks. I'm scared of the fact that they have yet to have found a problem that they don't think can't be fixed with a tax cut. I'm scared of some of their members views on abortion. I'm scared of their whole parties view on same sex marriage (and homosexuality as a whole). I'm scared that they are going to draw us further and further into lockstep with US foreign policy (they are our trading partners, they are important to us, no doubt at all, but their foreign policy is good for THEM, not us, THEM). I'm scared of the idea of free votes on important social issues (WTF do you need a party platform for if you're going to free vote every damn important issue)? I'm scared because Steven Harper does absolutely nothing to defuse these fears (when he was cornered his "don't worry the Senate (that we're going to reform) and the Supreme Court (that we hate) is all Liberal" so we can't do anything crazy" wasn't anywhere near as comforting as "we are going to do anything crazy" would have been). I'm quite nervous and unhappy on a number of fronts.

All the way through this election, and since the last one when it became apparent that we'd be doing this dance again soon, remnant PC people, people from the leftish side of the CPC, my cousin Andrew, people on commentsplease, Warren Kinsella, Peter MacKay, Charles, and many many more people have told me that it would be ok. That they would watch over the nuts (and oh my god the CPC has some ripe old nuts don't they?), that they would make sure the CBC wouldn't completely cut up, that the trumphilism wouldn't overwhelm reason (Don at commentsplease describes this as the "bayonet the stragglers" worldview), that Canada would, in point of fact, remain Canada.

So now, it's come to this.

You had better have been serious. You had better have been telling the truth.

Because if the whole shooting match goes to hell, if the Reagan like simultaneous tax cuts and spending promises get us in the shitter again, if the Medicare system basically goes away, if suddenly we're begging for forgiveness to the US for us raising their violations of trade agreements, if the CBC gets turned into some even more hollow version of it's former glory, it's on you, the conservative moderates. On your heads.

That's all I'm going to say about that.

1 Comments:

At 11:36 a.m., Blogger Tarkwell Robotico said...

Friggin' right, I'm talking truth.

I'm a libertarian - government doesn't get to play God. God does. We don't legislate based on moral opinions, no matter how passionately held.

I didn't realize your blog had politics on it too. Count me in as a regular.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home