Site Meter .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cameron's House of Fun

Fatherhood, politics, education, random thoughts (heavy on the random thoughts) and stuff (always stuff).

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Email from beyond

I haven't been in a very posting kinda mood. I'd love to be able to say why, to put my finger right on it but I can't: busy with work, busy with life, depressed a bit... a lot of factors I suppose. The other day, as part of a "clean up your damn computer and work area" convulsion, I started going through emails. I came across a bunch from my mom. It was odd, in an "odd strange" not "odd, omg I need to cry and then drink and cry some more" kind of way. Emails have an immediacy, a "receive, read, click reply, write reply, send" nature about them at the best of times. My Mom's messages were typically of the three lines with lots of "so....by the way... such and such happened" variety so they leant themselves to this kind of behavior heavily. I'd get a couple a month only, since I talked to her on the phone every other day, but they were always chatty and bubbly, about how I hadn't answered the phone and how she didn't feel like leaving a message and how it was really nothing, but here is a funny story etc. I recognize that other generations have had similar messages from beyond, saved cards and letters and even postcards, but all of them lack the immediacy, the sheer sense of a (for lack of a better term) faux-synchronous nature.

It took everything I had to not click reply.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home