Site Meter .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cameron's House of Fun

Fatherhood, politics, education, random thoughts (heavy on the random thoughts) and stuff (always stuff).

Monday, February 14, 2005

Out with a whimper

So for all intents and purposes my internship is over, kaput, dead like a dodo. I've been working three days a week finishing up some stuff for them and now I basically have trained everyone to do the production side of my job (note to self: STOP DOING THIS YOU PRAT) and the writing, educational side is now pretty much done. So basically I have worked myself out of a job. Bravo me. It's not like I don't have work, the redesign stuff for the Faculty will keep my busy for at least a year (if not more) and pays roughly the same but all the same it is an odd feeling.

I find it odd how consulting jobs appear to die with a whimper, I don't want the cake and coffee or bad lunch send off, but there is an odd sense of having not really been part of the place and at the same time of having devoted to much time to them. I guess this is something that I have been grappling with for a number of years with freelance writing and graphics gigs, there is no real sense of belonging. I keep joking that I need to start both a Stay at home dads (we're cool, Wired says so) group and a freelancer/contractor coffee break club. That way at least I could have an "office" Christmas party.

The sense of odd is heightened by the fact that my boss wants me to continue working infrequently to help them produce the different language versions they need to put up on the LMS. Basically this will be extremely glamorous cut and paste work, with a bit of SCORM compliancy and loading the package into the LMS. He is suggesting a flat rate per page, which is fine, since it won't take overly long to do, and is something I can do with the laptop while watching TV.

Coupled with this is the fact that I really have to get my ass into gear when it comes to my internship report/thesis like dealy.

OMG will our SF trip ever come?

Oh, in other news, we went and looked at a house up the street from where we live now, it needs lots of reno, but it is totally doable, has a backyard and is relatively reasonable in terms of price. We'll see what comes of it.

1 Comments:

At 2:45 p.m., Blogger Cameron Campbell said...

Eric, for a little while I was the High King of The Order Formâ„¢, that was fun. Big forms, little forms, bilingual forms.. wheeee....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home