Site Meter .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cameron's House of Fun

Fatherhood, politics, education, random thoughts (heavy on the random thoughts) and stuff (always stuff).

Thursday, March 03, 2005

On the importance of clear deadlines

So, my thesis/internship report advisor and I have never really discussed deadlines. I was aiming for the night before we take off for SF on vacation, so the 17th or 18th. I hadn't mentioned this to him, but I figured that he would review it, I would have fun while he did this and I would return rested and ready to rumble (alliteration, kind of).

So imagine my surprise when I checked my Education department FirstClass e-mail account and find a message asking me to have it done for tomorrow.

Problems with this request include:
  1. It's not nearly done
  2. I still haven't worked out control of time and space
  3. It's not nearly done
  4. I have this crazy idea that sleep is a good thing
  5. OMFG IT'S NOT NEARLY DONE!!

I emailed him back and suggested next Friday as something resembling reasonable (which will be a sleepless stretch, but probably doable).

God, I am at that point where I just want it over with. And to think that I am still seriously considering a Ph.D.

2 Comments:

At 12:11 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look at it this way, if you go ahead with the PhD, you'll have already lived through the torture once and have some idea what to expect.
Take from one who knows.
-- S

 
At 12:10 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember when I finished my MA and you said: "OMG I'm happy you're done!" I thought you were exagerating a bit... that it really hadn't been that bad. After all I was the one writing and not sleeping, etc.

Boy, was I wrong! I can't wait for you to be done now. Funny how perspective changes when you step on the other side of the fence.
C.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home