Site Meter .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cameron's House of Fun

Fatherhood, politics, education, random thoughts (heavy on the random thoughts) and stuff (always stuff).

Saturday, March 05, 2005

The Burgeoning Need for A Drivers Licence

Ok, so both Chris and I are over 35 (and that is all I am saying about that subject) and neither of us drive.

I'd guess that 80% - 90% of the time this is no big deal. Most of our life is 45 minutes from our front door by foot, a large measure of that even closer (groceries, pharmacy, restaurants, bars etc), but then there are the extremely aluring/useful places that are just out of reach or that sell things that really don't fit onto a bus or Metro.

Into this catagory fits IKEA, MEC, Home Dept and a couple of other places. All of these can be reached in under an hour by public transit, 45 minutes being our record to MEC, but you certainly can't do them all in one day, can't buy anything too big when there and you always have to think about the coming back. Bus drivers/Metro ticket booth guys will humor you when you bring some lumber onto public transit, but 10 foot pieces of 2 X 4 really isn't go. Simmilarly, renting a canoe or kayak at MEC is kind of impossible without a car.

IKEA is another good example. Very often we don't want anything big, we just want some cool, cheap magazine boxes, or something to put my mountains of CDs into. I seems silly to ride the bus or an hour to spend 80$ at IKEA and then turn around. So we put it off, and the CD mountain grows, and then we go to buy something big and forget the little stuff.

So last night we decided we were going, that we were taking cabs, and we were going to like it dammit. Our rationalization was/is that since no one babysits we never go to the movies (NEVER EVER) so all the money we have saved on the tickets, pop, popcorn and gigantic bags of M&Ms could easily be spent on taxi fare.

It was at the point that I was paying the second driver in front of our door (about $25 each way) that I was struck again by the fact that at this point the only reason I don't drive is that I am pure lazy.

I need to look into a driving school.

2 Comments:

At 10:37 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you'll discover it's infinitely more convenient and -- given the cost of cabs -- economical to rent when need be than to do what you're doing now.

It'll also come in handy when you and Chris travel to third world countries like les etats-unis where many cities have rudimentary-at-best public transportation. I often rent when I go to L.A. on business, for example.

flargh

 
At 5:22 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like what you need is one of these car-sharing/rental type companies.
No idea if there are any in TGWN, but here are a couple of websites.
http://www.flexcar.com/
http://www.zipcar.com/index
But, yes, you will need a license, you urban slacker. I'm from NYC and only managed to hold out until I was 20 or so. My parents, on the other hand, still don't drive and they're in their 60's. They do own a car, however.... but that's another story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home